Share this!

Share |

Thursday, March 24, 2011

More to Life Than Dying!

More to Life Than Dying!
When I served as an infantry medic in Vietnam, I was amazed at how young all the other soldiers were. I witnessed many dead and wounded young men, some died in my arms. The nausea in my stomach was partly from fear, and partly because I mourned for my dead comrades. I thought to myself. God! There has got to be more to life than dying here in this jungle!
When I arrived home, the nausea in my stomach was still there. I wanted to cry out to everyone in America, "young men are dying over there, don't you care?" The country that I came back to had changed. The television shows, the news, the war protestors, all portrayed the Vietnam veteran as a bad guy! I went to serve my country and now the bad guys on TV are all mentally deranged Vietnam veterans! I did what most Vietnam veterans did, I clammed up. I didn't want to talk about it. I didn't want anyone to know I was a Vietnam veteran.
I had gotten married before I went to Vietnam and had a little girl. I wanted to be a good husband and father, but the guilt and low self-esteem brought on by my Vietnam experience kept me mired down in self-pity and shame.
I had gone to church throughout childhood, and felt that the prayers of my church had gotten me through safely, but I was still having nightmares and walking the floor at night. I went to church and asked God to take away this burden. Praise God! I have never had another nightmare about Vietnam, and I have learned to take pride in the fact that I am a Vietnam veteran!
Give your life to Jesus Christ and start really living!
I am no longer ashamed of being a Vietnam veteran, and no one should be. Satan has a way of robbing us of what is rightfully ours. God can restore you through his son Jesus Christ!

Romans 5:7-8 7 Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

John W. Marks
Medic 101st Airborne
2/501st Infantry
69-70

3 comments:

  1. Nice article John. Thank you for serving our country in Vietnam, and thank you for sharing how your faith in Jesus has helped you through many tough times.

    www.janicedgreen.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you were shook up when you returned. What you went through, I can hardly imagine. Thank God you returned to yourself and us after the action during the war and the reactions here at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It breaks my heart that you had to go through such pain. Many others did too. You are blessed to have 'grown up' in the church, and know how important it is to have God in your life. I don't know how people that don't have that comfort deal with such pain. I guess that's why so many have miserable lives. May God continue to bless you for your service to our beautiful country, and for your example as a Christian. I am honored to have you for a 2nd cousin. Lynn

    ReplyDelete