Share this!

Share |

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Business Can Bee a Fun Adventure!

I grew up in a small town in Indiana and every day was an adventure. A local landowner had cut down a tree, and honeybees had built a nest inside a knothole in this tree. Now that the tree was laying flat on the ground, the knothole with the bees was right there about waist high. My friend, David, came to my house and wanted me to help him fight off the honeybees. He had the big idea to fight off all of the honeybees and get the honey inside of the beehive. Being young and stupid as I was, I thought that sounded like a pretty good idea; after all who can resist the taste of fresh honey. David and I didn’t realize how difficult the task at hand would be, but we knew that it would be exciting and adventurous to try. The bees were swarming all over the place. David and I used gunny sacks to fight off the honeybees. We were fighting honeybees for all they were worth. The bees were swarming all around us. We were afraid that we were going to get stung if we slowed down or stopped fighting. It is amazing how fast and furious one can work when motivated by fear.

Then it happened: David was stung on the tip of the earlobe. Now David was a tough little kid and he was really enjoying the excitement of fighting off those honeybees. He did not let the fact that he had been stung by a bee stop him from continuing his quest. Well, it was now getting close to lunchtime, so I went to my house, and David went to his. I had just barely finished my lunch when I heard a knock at the front door. It was David. I couldn’t believe my eyes! David’s face had swelled up to the size of a basketball. My mom and sister came running to the door. When they saw David’s face they were in shock. They didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. He didn’t even look like the same little boy. He looked more like a puffy faced old man. His entire face was swollen and his eyes looked like little slits. My mom, being a registered nurse, treated the bee sting and insisted that David go home and show his parents. Needless to say, David and I were not allowed to go back to that beehive!
In the business world sometimes we focus on making money, instead of focusing on all the obstacles that stand in our way. Many times we are overwhelmed with the little things, and we spend all our time working on tasks that mean very little to our bottom line. Knowing where to focus our efforts is very important in the business world. It doesn’t matter if you’re an experienced entrepreneur or starting a business for the first time. Problems can come at you from many directions, like a swarm of bees. We swat and flail around at our problems trying to avoid a financial sting. The experienced entrepreneur may need to learn the latest techniques and skills. With the advent of the Internet a businessman or woman needs to be alert to constant change in the industry. Whereas the newbie must find expert advice or his time in business will be short-lived. It is a must to know where to focus our efforts. It is the key to success for all start-up businesses to get off on the right foot. Finding a marketing system that will lead you to your financial goals is not only important, but paramount.

1 comment: